Farm Land Manager Job Opportunity!
Seeking qualified candidates to manage the land and facilities in harmony with the overarching goal to create a thriving biodynamic farm community.
The Farm Land Manager is responsible for managing and participating in the maintenance, repair, and improvement of the land, buildings and facilities owned by Norton Realty and Norton Wetlands. Responsibilities include hands-on work with farm and lawn care equipment, directing staff, and creating and maintaining a budget.
The Farm Land Manager must be committed to treating the land in a sustainable manner and to following organic and biodynamic guidelines.
Major Areas of Responsibility / Major Tasks
Major areas of responsibility include:
- Ensure that all farm equipment, tools and vehicles are kept in good working order at reasonable costs.
- Ensure that grounds are kept in good order especially in times of severe weather conditions.
- Provide a sustainable approach to caring for the land by the use of biodynamic and organic practices.
- Mediate agreements/leases among land users, commercial and residential tenants, vendors and contractors.
- Ensure that all homes and buildings be kept in good working order at reasonable costs.
- Become more efficient with energy for all the homes, buildings, equipment and vehicles.
- Manage staff and work in cooperation with the managers and staff who operate other entities on the farm.
For Norton Realty
- Work with all commercial and residential tenants to stay in compliance with specific lease agreements.
- Manage and maintain properties, facilitate building and property maintenance via vendors/subcontractors following property inspection or reports from tenants regarding 9 residential homes, 3 commercial buildings – includes grain bins, barns, lower workshop, veggie shed, spring house and fuel pumps.
- Oversee the maintenance and care of all equipment utilized at Norton Realty as well as all farm and garden equipment.
- Manage all relationships with vendors – mowers, landscape, tree care, etc.
- Manage relationships with subcontractors, which may include plumbers, electricians, carpenters, general maintenance, and others as needed.
- Conduct annual inspections of all commercial and residential building and review leases.
- Oversee any land improvement projects.
- Oversee management of the hunting program.
- Oversee all trash and recycling programs.
- Be accountable for expenses, bookkeeping and financial reports.
For Norton Wetlands
- Property Management/Leases
- Work to ensure property lease compliance.
- Meet semi-annually for a walk-through of dwellings and grounds.
For Norton Minerals
- Meet with the external vendor twice a year
- Review year over year progress and occurrences to ensure the maintenance of the property management agreements.
For Norton Farm
- Assist the biodynamic coordinator with application of field sprays.
- Work with manager of the grass fed beef, as needed including maintenance and repair of farm equipment and vehicles.
- Remove barn waste (manure) in coordination with managers of beef and horse operations.
- Be a resource to Norton Farm for fence and road maintenance.
For the Trust Advisory Group
- Monitor staff accountability.
- Prepare annual operating and capital expense budgets for approval by the Trust Advisory Group.
- Seek pre- approval from the Trust Advisory Group for expenditures that are not budgeted.
- Provide quarterly progress reports to the Trust Advisory Group.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Basic knowledge and experience in basic mechanical skills regarding operations, repair and maintenance of farm, garden, and other equipment and tools.
- Basic knowledge and skills of residential and building repair – being hands-on but knowing when to call in a subcontractor specialist.
- Ability to learn to work with the biodynamic approach to land care, and understanding what the Biodynamic Certification means to the property.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with all employees, vendors, renters, neighbors, etc.
- Be a team player.
- Ability to act as a general contractor for projects and repairs.
- Understanding of budgets, expenses and reports.
Education and Experience
- College degree in agriculture, preferred
- 5 years of experience in gardening/farming/agriculture/construction/equipment repairs.
- Experience with sustainable agriculture practices preferred.
- Management experience.
Qualified candidates should send a resume, salary requirements and three business references to: firstname.lastname@example.org by March 7th, 2014.
Farmhand / Herd Assistant
We are seeking a farmhand/herd assistant to attend to live farm animals including cattle, sheep and other species using biodynamic and sustainable methods. Duties to include daily monitoring and care of livestock, use and maintenance of tractors and other farm equipment to distribute feed, moving of grass fed livestock and other general farm tasks. May assist in birth deliveries and other health monitoring activities.
Foxhollow Farm is a thriving Biodynamic farm community providing healthy food, hands on learning and a place where people can experience an earth friendly working farm. Foxhollow Farm is committed to raising high-quality grass fed beef using sustainable animal friendly farming practices. We value self-development, teamwork and integrity and achieve this daily through our established culture and community that live and work on the farm.
Who We Are Looking For
This position will report to and work closely with the Head Cattleman on a daily basis. Ideal candidates will be positive, hardworking and resourceful team players who will help move the vision and mission of Foxhollow Farm forward.
Responsibilities To Include
- Feed and water livestock and monitor food and water supplies.
- Operate trucks, tractors, and other equipment to distribute feed to animals.
- Examine animals to detect illness, injury, or disease, and to check physical characteristics, such as rate of weight gain.
- May provide minor medical treatment.
- Inspect, maintain, and repair equipment, machinery, buildings and fences.
- Move equipment or livestock from one location to another, manually or using trucks or carts.
- Clean stalls and equipment, using disinfectant solutions, brushes, shovels, water hoses, or pumps.
- May mark livestock.
- Herd livestock to pastures for grazing or to scales, trucks, or other enclosures.
- General farm tasks.
- Maintain a safe work environment.
Traits Of An Ideal Candidate
- Preferably a college degree in animal science or agriculture
- High school degree will be considered with farming experience
- Five (5) years of experience on a farm, handling similar duties
- Some understanding of livestock genetics, breeding and grazing.
- Mechanical for handling and repairing equipment.
- Ability to follow instructions and take direction.
- Understanding of farming operations.
- Understanding of biodynamic/sustainable farming practices.
- This job often requires strenuous physical demands.
- The employee needs a high level of fitness and stamina, as they spend a lot of time walking around farmland, tending to animals, and carrying out maintenance.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- Lifting moderate to heavy amount of weight is often require, 50 – 80 lbs.
- Required to talk, hear and read. High level of communication skills.
- Typically works outdoors and may spend some time working in an office and/or in barns and shops.
- Required to work directly with and around livestock in both the pastures and corral settings.
- Required to perform maintenance on and operate heavy machinery.
- The job may require long hours during the day or at night, including working many holidays.
- Must have a valid license to drive.
To apply for this position, complete the online application and send along with your resume and references to email@example.com.
All volunteers need to fill out an application prior to joining the volunteer team